This is a watercolour painting of Bramley apples taken from my orchard:
- Three apples seemed to be a nice balance and leaving them attached to the branch kept them in context.
- They were painted over several days and the pie was an afterthought some time later.
- I generally tend to be too detail oriented but in this instance I think it was appropriate.
- I thought about filling in the background but decided it would draw attention away from the subject so I just put in shadow under the apples and the dish to connect it to the table.
- The apples were from actual fruit but the pie was pure imagination.
- Unfortunately in recent years there have been very few apples possibly due to lack of bees and poor pollination.