It’s that time of year so I thought these would be appropriate.
- I usually start with the background but this time I painted the flowers first.
- Then I made the background wet with clean water and worked around the poppy with a loose wash.
- I allowed the colour to blend into the wet paper, keeping the leading edges loaded to avoid hard edges.
- Tilting the paper controlled the flow, and when complete used a dry brush to remove surplus paint.
- With the blue poppy I used one layer for the background, but with the others I applied several layers to get a rich deep colour for contrast with the flower.