This is a typical scene on the West coast of Vancouver Island.
- Wild waves and rocks and lots of spray.
- The painting came together quite quickly for a change.
- I mixed a big puddle of paint, mostly indigo I think.
- Maybe I added another colour but I don’t remember.
- I just pushed the paint around, adding layers for more depth or lifting paint for the lighter areas until I got it to my satisfaction.
- The black rock in the foreground seems to anchor the picture. I didn’t think of it in those terms at the time it just seemed appropriate.
- The background I faded out to enhance the sense of distance and perspective, and while the paint was still wet I took a soft tissue and gently swept and lifted the paint to create the spray.
- I entered the painting in the 2012 Sidney Fine Arts Show where it sold on the first day.
- First painting I have sold.